Date(s) - 09/15/2017
10:00 am - 2:00 pm
2nd Annual Park(ing) Day!!
SIGN UP TO JOIN US THIS YEAR! REGISTATATION FORM
Your participation in this globally-recognized event is the key to a creative, interactive experience with our community. You have the opportunity to change the way people see an 8 x 16 foot parking stall because it will be designed by you!
PARK(ing) Day was established in 2005 in San Francisco with one parking stall, in one city, and in one country. Today it occurs annually in hundreds of cities, and in dozens of countries. It has grown into a global experiment in reclaiming and reprogramming vehicular space for social exchange, recreation and artistic expression. In celebrating the combination of creativity and community, PARK(ing) Day remains free of commercial interests and instead focuses on meaningful interactions with citizens.
Date Friday, September 15, 2017
Location Metered, parallel parking spaces throughout the downtown area (spaces will be determined as registrations are received).
Time 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Cost Free for the public to attend PARK(ing) Day!
There will be a $25 registration fee for participants to help cover the costs of marketing, event fees and the parking meters will be bagged for you on the day of the event.
- No selling of goods or services
- No alcohol
- No cash boxes, registers or donation/tip containers
- No use of sand as ground cover
- No cause of litter (consider providing a trash receptacle if necessary)
- No vehicles
PARKING SPACE OCCUPANTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR OWN:
- Please consider protecting/defining the perimeter of your space in relationship to traffic and accessibility to walking patrons.
- Promotional signage within your space.
- Set-up and tear-down (remember the saying: Leave it better than you found it!) Meters will be blocked off as of 8 a.m. that day for set-up and are covered until 5 p.m. for tear-down.
- Staffing/volunteers for your space.
- The use of real grass is not recommended unless you have a place to permanently install it immediately after the PARK(ing) Day event. You are encouraged to be creative by transforming the concrete/asphalt into a more comfortable and visually impressive space. Some participants have used quilts, area rugs, carpets, and astroturf. The use of sand is prohibited.
- Protection against the elements. This international day is set to happen rain or shine, so be prepared.
- Completed registration form with waiver.
- $25 Registration Fee.
- Be creative!
Sept. 1 Register for your space.
Sept. 8 Submit your design for the space so we can promote what you’re doing.
- Capture your creativity with plenty of photos for your website, Twitter and Facebook. @parkingday or #parkNplaySC.
- Provide seating, if your space can accommodate it. Additional seats are an incentive for an impromptu gathering!
- Enclosures such as traffic cubes, potted plants, or any self-supporting boundary is important to provide a sense of security and safety for PARK visitors.
- Let your imagination run wild! These ideas have all been used at other PARK(ing) Day events: a wedding ceremony, chess tournament, open poetry reading, interactive sculptures, a public back porch, a public reading room, lawn bowling, free bicycle repair shop, finger painting studio, swing sets, kite flying. . .you get the idea!
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Ragen Cote, Downtown Partners – firstname.lastname@example.org; 252-0014
Denise Salem, Sioux City Blue Zones Project – email@example.com; 279-6119 X 2825; 577-4157
Michelle Bostinelos, SIMPCO – firstname.lastname@example.org; 279-6286