National Historic Landmark
Built in 1918, this historic structure is the largest Prairie Style building in the world. The Courthouse represents an American statement in architecture which originated within the Chicago, Illinois offices of Louis Sullivan. The style, developed in the 1890’s and referred to as the Prairie School, came to reflect the Midwestern sense of design, color and landscape while providing an economical and practical utilization of space. The building features exterior sculptures by Alfonso Ianelli and interior murals by Chicago painter John W. Norton.